Every seafarer, who applies to the new certificate of competency or its revalidation, has to pass the competency assessment procedure in accordance with the Regulation of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 895 “Certification of Seafarers” in force from December 18th, 2005.
The competence assessment of seafarers, radio communication personnel, and fishing vessel personnel is done by the board of assessors, who assess the competency of seafarers in accordance with criteria and methods set forth in STCW Code standards and STCW-F convention.
- Those who applying for the first time (or in case of revalidation if not enough seagoing service in duty on certain vessels) for certification as Deck Officer of the Watch on ships of 500 GT or more, Master or Chief Mate on ships of 3000 GT or more, Engineering Officer of the Watch on ships of 750 KW propulsion power or more and Chief Engineer or Second Engineer on ships of 3000 KW propulsion power or more shall pass a computer based test* relevant to the requirements of the STCW standards and attest his/her competency in an interview with the assessment board.
- To obtain the other qualifications the candidate shall attest the competency in an interview.
- The test is considered passed if the candidate has answered correctly to at least 70% of the questions in 120 minutes; total number of questions is 70.
- Graduates of maritime educational, who apply for the certificate of competency of officer on watch, ordinary seamen or motorman and have to pass the competency assessment procedure are questioned according to the internship program, stated in the training record book (which has to be filled in and approved).
- If it has been established in the examination of competency that the applicant does not conform to the requested qualification, the assessment commission shall indicate the themes in the assessment protocol, in which a non-conformity of the applicant with the competency was established. Upon the request of the seafarer the Latvian Registry of Seamen shall issue a copy of the assessment protocol to him.
- When stating insufficient level of competency the assessment board are entitled to ask the candidate to repeat a course programme certified by the Ministry of Transport.
- The candidate for a required qualification shall pass a competency examination not more than three times in a six-month period after the documents are submitted to the Registry of Seamen. If the candidate in this period does not pass a competency examination, he/she not sooner than six months later can repeatedly submit the documents and pass a competency assessment. During this period he/she may qualify for a lower qualification.
- A seafarer may appeal against the decisions of assessment board, submitting a relevant application to the Head of the Registry of Seamen with a request for a review. If the head of the Registry of Seamen will consider the appeal for support, he can assemble independent board of assessors, and point the date of competency re-assessment. Re-evaluation results of the Registry of Seamen cannot be appeal anymore.
Note! Negligence of any point mentioned below will cause termination of test and cancellation of results!
During the CBT:
- cell phones must be switched off;
- it is forbidden to use of any personal support materials and equipment during exam, except those presented in the examination class;
- it is forbidden to talk during the test – only in case of any questions possible to consult the inspector;
- it is not allowed to leave the class.