Maritime Administration of Latvia (hereinafter–MAL) was established in 1994 as a non-profit organization on the basis of Captain General of Latvian Ports. MAL consists of Latvian Hydrographic Service, Latvian Ship Register, Latvian Seamen's Registry, Maritime Safety Department.
MAL is a state limited liability company supervised by the Ministry of Transport that fulfills functions according to the Law on Maritime Administration and Maritime Safety.
Board of MAL consists of two Board members: Chairman of the Board Jānis Krastiņš and Member of the Board Artūrs Brokovskis.
Mr. Jānis Krastiņš
Jānis Krastiņš worked from 1999 to 2001 in the Port of Ventspils as hydrographic surveyor and Chief of Sea Channel Service.
Starting from March of 2001 to 2010 he took a position of the Head of Hydrographic Service, Maritime Administration of Latvia. In parallel to the Head of Hydrographic Service he was appointed as Member of the Board of Maritime Administration of Latvia from 2005 – 2009.
Since the end of 2010 Jānis Krastiņš is the Chairman of the Board of Maritime Administration of Latvia.
1994-1996 1996 Latvian Maritime Academy deck officer – coledge diploma
1996/1997 University of Plymouth (UK) specialized course in hydrography
1996 – 1998 Latvian Maritime Academy engineer - hydrographer
2003 - 2005 Riga International School of Economics and Business Administration professional degree MBA
Mr. Artūrs Brokovskis
Artūrs Brokovskis has been working as Deputy Director of Maritime Administration of Latvia from 1997 to 2009. He was Chairman of the Board of Maritime Administration of Latvia from June 2009 to November 2009, and Member of the Board since the end of 2010.
Mr. Brokovskis has qualified as deep sea captain, he has graduated from the Admiral Makarov State Maritime Academy as deck officer.
Since 1964 he has worked for Latvian fishing fleet, Riga Commercial Port and Latvian Shipping Company. Since 2010 he was Deputy Harbor Master of Riga Port, but since 2014 until now he is Harbor Master of Riga Port.
Activities of Maritime Administration of Latvia according to NACE 2:
- Sea and coastal passenger water transport (50.1);
- Sea and coastal freight water transport (50.2);
- Service activities incidental to water transportation (52.22);
- Other publishing activities (58.19);
- Data processing, hosting and related activities (63.11);
- Other information service activities n.e.c. (63.99);
- Other financial service activities, except insurance and pension funding n.e.c. (64.99);
- Fund management activities (66.3);
- Buying and selling of own real estate (68.1);
- Renting and operating of own or leased real estate (68.2);
- Engineering activities and related technical consultancy (71.12);
- Technical testing and analysis (71.20);
- Other research and experimental development on natural sciences and engineering (72.19);
- Other professional, scientific and technical activities n.e.c. (74.9);
- Security systems service activities (80.2);
- Investigation activities (80.3);
- General public administration activities (84.2);
- Technical and vocational secondary education (85.32);
- Higher education (85.4);
- Other education n.e.c. (85.59).
To ensure provision of services and operation of the company that contribute to the growth, sustainability, development and competitiveness of maritime sector in the European region by applying high environmental, safety and security standards.