Maritime Administration of Latvia (hereinafter–MAL) was established in 1994 as a non-profit organization on the basis of Captain General of Latvian Ports. MAL consists of Latvian Hydrographic Service, Latvian Ship Register, Latvian Seamen's Registry, Maritime Safety Department.
MAL is a state limited liability company supervised by the Ministry of Transport that fulfills functions according to the Law on Maritime Administration and Maritime Safety.
Board of MAL consists of two Board members: Chairman of the Board Jānis Krastiņš and Member of the Board Edgars Gļaņenko.
Mr. Jānis Krastiņš
Jānis Krastiņš worked from 1999 to 2001 in the Port of Ventspils as hydrographic surveyor and Chief of Sea Channel Service.
Starting from March of 2001 to 2010 he took a position of the Head of Hydrographic Service, Maritime Administration of Latvia. In parallel to the Head of Hydrographic Service he was appointed as Member of the Board of Maritime Administration of Latvia from 2005 – 2009.
Since the end of 2010 Jānis Krastiņš is the Chairman of the Board of Maritime Administration of Latvia.
1994-1996 1996 Latvian Maritime Academy deck officer – coledge diploma
1996/1997 University of Plymouth (UK) specialized course in hydrography
1996 – 1998 Latvian Maritime Academy engineer - hydrographer
2003 - 2005 Riga International School of Economics and Business Administration professional degree MBA
Mr. Edgars Gļaņenko
Edgar Gļaņenko has been working at JA since 2020, holding the position of the Ship Register Manager. He has managerial experience from 2007 to 2019 in managing SIA “DNV GL Latvia”, as well as from 2011 to 2019 holding the position of a member of the Board of this company. From 2007 to 2011, he also worked for the company as a ship inspector and customer manager. Also from 2015 to 2018, Gļaņenko worked as the head of SIA “Germanischer Lloyd” in Latvia and the chairman of the board. Gļaņenko has also worked as a ship's manager and started his career as a sailor.
He holds a bachelor's degree in business and financial management from the Baltic International Academy, as well as a professional seafarer's education from the Latvian Maritime Academy. Currently studying ship management and logistics at the Cambridge Academy of Transport.
No member of the board holds a position in other companies.
Activities of Maritime Administration of Latvia according to NACE 2:
- Sea and coastal passenger water transport (50.1);
- Sea and coastal freight water transport (50.2);
- Service activities incidental to water transportation (52.22);
- Other publishing activities (58.19);
- Data processing, hosting and related activities (63.11);
- Other information service activities n.e.c. (63.99);
- Other financial service activities, except insurance and pension funding n.e.c. (64.99);
- Fund management activities (66.3);
- Buying and selling of own real estate (68.1);
- Renting and operating of own or leased real estate (68.2);
- Engineering activities and related technical consultancy (71.12);
- Technical testing and analysis (71.20);
- Other research and experimental development on natural sciences and engineering (72.19);
- Other professional, scientific and technical activities n.e.c. (74.9);
- Security systems service activities (80.2);
- Investigation activities (80.3);
- General public administration activities (84.2);
- Technical and vocational secondary education (85.32);
- Higher education (85.4);
- Other education n.e.c. (85.59).
To ensure provision of services and operation of the company that contribute to the growth, sustainability, development and competitiveness of maritime sector in the European region by applying high environmental, safety and security standards.